Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Hive Part One

I grew up in Brockton, Ma prior to moving to Plymouth. I hated it. My parents did good though. We had a nice house and a monster yard but I was an artist and musician early on no one in the area was inclined to play how I wanted to play. Yeah, I played sports and can still skate with the best of em. I bleed black and gold If you must know. In the back of the neighborhood it was farmland. Not so much now, but in the 70's it was vast.

There was one kid who played sax and was into comic books that I friended during school.  Turns out he lived next to a big wild grass field with all these cool jumps the older kids would hi.  It was a nice hot, august day and this kid calls. I don't remember how he got the number, whatever, it's moot,  anyways, he calls. 

"Come on over"! Let's go ride our bikes in the field! Hell yeah! I get on my bike and before I take off my Mom, says "Be careful, and keep and eye on where your riding, it's a big place out there. "

Yeah, yeah whatever! I bail. 20 minutes later, I show up at this kid's house. He is already primed on his bike ready to hit the trails! I take a quick peak for landmarks. Even back then I remember being aware of things. I scan and notice a bird house way up on the oak tree next to the entrance. The mouth of he entrance was covered in briars 7 feet high and only split in the middle just big enough for someone to ride a bike through. 

We enter. My new friend takes the lead. We zip in and out of the paths, dodging tree trunks and puddles. After about 10 minutes, I slow down a bit. This kid rode all the time. I wasn't used to the pace but I didn't want to look like a wuss so I took a breath and tried to catch up...

It wasn't seconds untl I hear this scream. A scream that still resides deep in me If I think about that day. I turned the corner and something out of a horror movie appears in front of me. Seems my new friend has skidded off the path and wiped out...right into a mud face wasp nest. The nastiest of the nasties. Bad, bad, bad. He is being swarmed running around swatting the air. I froze. I've been stung before but I've NEVER seen anything like this. As my best bud Jason can attest, bees will f@#$ you up!

Then, clarity. What did Mom say?

No comments:

Post a Comment